View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 04:06 AM   #22
fortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I think that virtually everyone who joins this site as a contributor thinks their stuff is pretty good when they start submitting. I was in that boat. It was only after countless rejections and lots of time spent looking at the photos of others, including those of friends I see on charters all the time, that I realized that my concept of "good" needed some serious calibration. Strictly applied, the RP standards go way beyond what most folks think is an decent photo. I see stuff posted in RR forums all the time, by folks who claim to be professionals, that is not up to snuff with some of the "unpaid" professionals here.

Even after I more or less figured out the "RP recipe", it still occurred to me that when compared to the better photographers here, my stuff lacked contrast and sharpness, and that I still didn't have an "eye" for great composition. Some of those things are fixable but I have not found that talking to other photographers is all that helpful. Some really do want to help, but their techniques and work-flow may be so different from your own that their tips may not be all that useful unless you want to upend your world. And then there are the photographers who won't talk about their techniques, as if they are military secrets. Don't get me started about them.

Honestly, I think I personally get better by closely studying the work of people whose images impress me. If I can watch them in-person at an event, that helps too. I also watch a lot of YouTube videos. Yes, there are some good ones out there.......among fields of weeds. Finally, it takes a lot of experimentation, and recording what you do to images for later reference. It's like a science project. I am an Engineer, not an Artist. Knowing the formulas that lead to failures is just as important as knowing the formulas that lead to success. If you experiment and never record anything, you may just keep repeating the same old mistakes.

I understand what you mean. Photography is my hobby and I think I am decent at it. This is my Flickr page by the way:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11199190@N03/

So I have done the process you describe (looking at great pictures of others and try to match them) for normal photography.
I understand that train photography however, is a totally different thing and that special qualities and standards are required. Especially for a site like this.
I still need to develop the eye for spotting these qualities that make a train picture better.
I'll try again.
Thank you for your advice.
fortis is offline   Reply With Quote