Thread: Top shot
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #91
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffat Road View Post
I wasn’t going to respond to recent posts in this thread since they refer to my photos. But…

I have always enjoyed railroads in scenic settings for my photography, but everyone has different tastes. Because the Class I railroads today are so large, and many locomotive fleets are very homogenous, to me, scenery and a scenic location is more important than ever for a good photograph.

Loyd’s surely tongue-in-cheek remark about doing western railroad photography is “like shooting fish in a barrel” is not really true… or fair. There a lot of lines in the west that see very few trains and it can require a fair amount of time and effort to get good light and a train at the right time and place. Union Pacific’s Moffat Subdivision gets a lot of SC awards, but train counts today can be 4-5 trains per 24 hours, with counts as low as 2, both being Amtrak’s California Zephyr! Getting good photos of trains on this line is challenging and definitely not “like shooting fish in a barrel.”

J-M Frybourg illustrated one of his points with five of my photos of Sheep Canyon on BNSF’s Casper Sub in Wyoming. Photos at this place requires 4WD and/or hiking to do any photography. And you’d be lucky to photograph three trains in daylight on a long June day, with two of them a local. “Shooting fish in a barrel,” I think not.

Mr. Frybourg also compares the inequities of U.S. and Canada photos in SC and POTW awards compared to the rest of the world. Yes, there is a U.S. bias, but the RailPictures is a U.S.-based website! If a similar railroad photo website was located in Switzerland or Germany, or somewhere else, I would NOT expect U.S. photography to have majority of the SC or POTW images.

I appreciate the “awards” like SC, POTW and PC that my photos get on this website. But what I really enjoy is sharing my photos with everyone here, maybe showing them a new location, or a different way of looking at a familiar place, or perhaps presenting a railroad or locomotive that doesn’t exist anymore. I think that no matter where railroad photography is done, it be a challenge and some work, but hopefully in the end, the results are something worth sharing.

Mike Danneman
Mike,

I enjoy seeing your shots, and appreciate the effort that you put into finding locations (I still haven't figured out how you get to those locations between Plainview and Crescent). You have shown me quite a few locations that i have visited or intend to visit as a result.

With regard to JMF's repeated whining about the pro-American bias, you hit the nail on the head. By and large, the majority of American railfans don't have an interest in unfamiliar-looking trains like most of those in Europe, and I agree that most RP viewers are North American. I have posted a few foreign photos here, and they usually tank on views.

Jean-Marc should look at his own success rate at RP. Of his twelve SC's, two are from Iran and one is from France. The other nine are all taken in the western hemisphere, where trains look like those the US and Canada. It's not a persecution of foreign photographers, rather a preference for railroads that look and feel like those in the U.S.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote