View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #10
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Oh, I didnt realize it had to do with the ventilation systems, makes sense the more I think about it. I don't think there are any tunnels in the East that still use them anymore. Most of the tunnel portals on the C&O are pretty tight outside of the portals and are getting grown over in places.
I didn't think about that either. Moffat Tunnel is also ventilated (and I've been there---as well as Cascade, but not at night in either place). In steam days, Lewis Tunnel on the ex-C&O at East Alleghany was ventilated (the westbound tunnel, that is), and also the new (1950) Elkhorn Tunnel on the N&W main.

I still like Loyd's Big Bend shots (neither bore there had to be ventilated in steam days). There's a fairly long tunnel at Hagans, VA, about 40 minutes from home (it's about 6500'), and also Clinch Mountain and Sandy Ridge Tunnels on the former Clinchfield (about 4,500 and 5,500 respectively---more or less). However, I don't have the inclination or energy to go out at night like some of the younger guys. I'll just look at their pictures...
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote