View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
KevinM

Folks,

I purchased a D90 a year ago to replace a D40x and am generally quite happy with it. My reasons for the upgrade were as follows:
  • Better autofocus array (11 pts vs 3)
  • Ability to autofocus with non-AFS lenses
  • Separate thumbwheel for aperture control
  • Autobracketing feature
  • CMOS sensor with better high-ISO performance
  • Higher resolution (12 MP vs 10 MP)
  • Larger LCD display
  • LiveView feature
  • Heavier weight and better balance with heavy zoom lenses

I cannot comment extensively on the 18-105mm VR kit lens as I have only casual experience playing with one. I did not purchase this lens and am using the 18-200mm VR as my everyday lens. I will say that my observation is that the build quality, focus speed and distortion level of the 18-105mm VR appears to be on a par with my lens.

A price of $800 for the body is about the best you'll do from a reputable internet vendor. I believe B&H will sell it for this price, and that's about $50 less than it was last Christmas....reflecting the fact that this model is now about 1.5 yrs old.

I haven't played with the D3000 and D5000 cameras, which I believe replaced the D40 and D60 series. If any of the features that I listed above are important to you, you should check to see if the newer low-end cameras have them. If not, you may want to go VFR direct to a D90 and save yourself the mistake of buying a starter camera that you may rapidly outgrow.

Edit: Just saw J's post and totally agree. The lens FLARE issue is related to the lens and how it is used, not the camera body.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote