Thread: fisheyes
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
I recently bought the Canon 8-15 and I have been very happy with it. A fisheye may not be a lens you will use every day, but I do feel that it deserves a spot in most peoples kit and it adds some variety to your portfolio. I have not taken many railroad images with it, however a few examples are below.

Space Shuttle Enterprise

Enola Gay

A nice, cheap alternative is the Pro-optic 8mm. It sells for around $300. The lens is very, very soft at F3.5, but once you stop down a little it becomes quite sharp. It is 100% manual.

Discovery's Flight Deck
Walter, I count myself as someone who has traditionally looked at fisheyes as "artsy" or "gimicky". The series you posted makes a strong case that some of us need to take a second look. Those are all really nice photos and definitely not in the "oddities" category. I especially like the shot of the Enola Gay from the walk bridge. Yeah, it's probably not a lens that most of us would reach for a lot, but it definitely has its place in the bag of any serious photographer.

Thanks for adjusting my attitude! I always enjoy looking at your stuff and have your site bookmarked.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote