View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #20
Heymon

Those of you who blame the photog for this are off base. Yeah, he had a bit of an attitude, but that is not against the law (the officer had an attitude too) and it also is not apparently against the law to take photos where he was taking them. Thus, the ONLY blame here is on the cop.

The cop is allowed to ask him questions, and the guy can answer or not. Without probable cause that the guy is committing a crime, the cop is out of ammo, so to speak. The first thing the cop said was that the guy was not allowed to take photos, which is untrue per his sources. I can understand the cop wanting to know what was going on, but he can't be a bully.

Any of you guys that are excusing the cop's behavior are writing yourselves a new set of rules to live by. Rolling over when your rights are being undermined isn't going to help. I do a lot of photography in public places for work (I investigate traffic accidents) and get queried often. I am always polite with the first response, but sometimes that is not enough. Since I know my rights, I have no problem telling officers to respect them.

A person can be a jerk and take photos, but there is no violation of law to do so. A cop can be a jerk and attempt to detain you, but there is a violation of rights if there is no probable cause. Don't trade your freedom so easily for security, especially in the case where the "threat" is largely manufactured. Anyone think Al Qaeda would be taking photos out in the open if they were trying to plot something? Of course not, they would use hidden cameras. A little common sense from law enforcement goes a long way.

Heymon
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote