Thread: Pro vs Anti RP
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 06:17 AM   #32
Bryant Kaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
As for the tiresome 3/4 wedgies, see my "wade" post above.
As a self-professed wedgie photographer who dabbles in other compositions, I would argue that not every wedge is created equal, either. Excluding a whole category of composition may mean you lose some remarkable photographs in their own right. Pardon me for using two of my own photos as examples, but here is one from my earlier photography days:

Image © Bryant Kaden
PhotoID: 126459
Photograph © Bryant Kaden

And one taken back in August:

Image © Bryant Kaden
PhotoID: 295469
Photograph © Bryant Kaden

The first one was definitely just a "point the camera down the track and take a picture" composition. I didn't really think about it.

While the second one is similar in composition and technically fits the 3/4 wedge category, I actually thought about what I wanted to do. You don't really get the full effect of the second until you see it full size. I intentionally used a lower angle to accentuate the clean red locomotive against the clouds and blue sky. I didn't get too low, however, so you could still see the train negotiating the rolling hills in the background. I also shot with my lens wide open to create a shallower depth of field, again enhancing the front of the locomotive against the background.

I'm not saying it deserves a SC or PCA or anything even close, but I think it's a pleasing photograph to look at and so have several others who have requested prints of it.

I guess what I'm saying is that, as overdone as the wedge is, the composition still has a place in railroad photography and there's no good reason why they should be categorically excluded. Besides, your "wading" is another's treasure hunt!