View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 03:36 AM   #11
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
The best advice I can give you is to forget about getting the 7D. Get the T2i or T3i and spend the rest of your money on quality glass. You can get one of those bodies and the 70-200mm f/4L for the price of the 7D. Don't spend all your money on a nice body and attached a crap lens to it. Multiple new bodies come out every year trying to be better than the last. Glass, for the most part, stays the same. A good lens will last you a long time. I know guys who have had the same lens for 15+ years.

The camera's you've selected are nearly identical. You can do a side-by-side comparison at the link below. All three use SD cards, and have the same size LCD.

dpreview.com side-by-side comparison

Some basics I noted based on the above link.

- 60D is sealed, others are not.
- Same sensor
- T2i and T3i (3.7 fps), 60D (5.3 fps)
- T2i - $700
- T3i - $800
- 60D - $900 (You save -$100 if you buy it from B&H before September)
- T2i doesn't have a movable LCD, is that really something that is important to you? You'll probably wish you had it for 1 out of every 1,000 photos you take.

I wouldn't worry about bugs, there really isn't much they could screw up and if they did it would likely be a simple update.

$300 on a 5-year warranty sounds like a waste of money to me. That's 1/2 or 1/3 the price of the camera you're going to by. You're probably just better off paying to have it repaired or replaced at that price (Assuming anything even happens to it).

Canon 70-200mm f/4L for $680 and Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS for $1150 are my recommendations for glass.
Except for the words about the 60D tilting screen (I find that very handy) and the 24-105 (24mm end is too tight for APS-C. The 18-55mm f2.8 is a better better match for the great 70-200) I agree and think this the best advice here.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote