View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 05:00 AM   #12
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
I do try. Every time I go railfanning, when I turn on the camera, I think of all of the advice I've been given on these forums. However, circumstances usually line up wrong, and something ends up wrong about the shot, usually the lighting. I bother to take the shots in the first place for my personal collection. A small percent of them I consider worth passing by the forums.
Hi Spacetrain,

The next time you have a nice clear day where you are, take a walk outside around 6PM and just look at the world around you. Look at the trees, the buildings, vehicles, etc. See how pretty that light is vs. mid-day or after sunset. There is no comparison. THAT is the kind of light you want. THAT is the kind of light that will give your pictures a chance here. Photography isn't about owning a camera, or shooting anything that moves. Photography is about learning to see the light and using it to make pretty photos. If you don't have great light, you'll rarely get a great photo. If the light is not good, don't even bother taking the camera out of the bag, just enjoy what is happening around you.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote