View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
Rich K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Why do you like it better? What are your usual settings? Tell us more!
Janusz,

I stumbled upon this technique about a year ago when I discovered this brief article about high pass sharpening.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...arpening.shtml

You referenced this earlier.

An even better tutorial can be found here . . .

http://nyfalls.com/article-photoshop...harpening.html

I really like this method of sharpening because . . . .

It is really quite fast and easy once you have used it a while.

It's done on a seperate layer so if I don't like the result I just delete the layer and do it over again.

Using high pass I almost never struggle with jaggies or halos that I seemed to encounter more with USM.

As for my technique, I always do this last after all Photoshop tweaks and resizing.

I shoot RAW and I do some basic sharpening on the full sized out of camera image before I start my Photoshop work. I find that this "pre-sharpening" helps minimize the final sharpening amount needed.

First I change the blending mode of the layer I will use for sharpening to Overlay. Some suggest this be set to Hard Light but I prefer the former.

I typically set the radius at 0.3 or 0.4 to start. This seems sufficient in part because I sharpen first in Adobe Camera Raw. Once the sharpening is applied I control the final effect with the Opacity control. I usually end up with opacity set to between 70% and 80%.

Although it can take slightly longer to do than USM, I love the results and to me high pass is the way to go. I also use it on shots I intend to print, increasing the radius, etc. due to image size being larger for prints. My out of camera image size is 4272 x 2848.

Hope this helps. I encourage anyone who has not tried this technique to give it a try.

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net

Last edited by Rich K; 04-28-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote