View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:47 AM   #57
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
With all due respect, don't blame Bin Laden for it all. Blame the percentage of hobbyists who gather at stations, terminals and edge of yards whose presence interferes with employees conducting their duties, or the passengers boarding or detraining, the empty coffee cups and pop cans on the ground while taking their shots. Not to mention each one armed with their scanners on loudly blaring on the same channel or worse,multiple channels. Pity the poor employee who is mobbed at times by hobbyists barraging him with questions, requests and dare I say, suggestions. Just like flies to shyte.

What I've noticed is that the some of the railfans aggressive arrogance demanding their right to enter private property (owned, leased or rented) signed or unsigned to pursue their hobby(or is it an obsession?).
It's tough being a hobbyist while working and responding to deter other foamers from trespassing, climbing on engines or being found with company property on their possession, such as train orders, builders plates and reversers.
There are countless locations throughout my country (Canada) and the US that we can follow our enthusiasm to pursue the hobby. Perhaps we need mentors for the newer generation in the great hobby.
This issue has doomed railfans (and frankly others pursuing their hobbies) for decades. Goes to the reason most of us have never seen a Baldwin Shark... story I heard was some railfans stole the builder's plates, so the engines got locked up away...
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote