View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 04:48 PM   #3
oltmannd

Default it ain't the film or the scan res.

I have EXACTLY the same problem you are encountering. The problem is that flatbed scanners generally do a lousy job with transparencies. It doesn't matter if I scan at 1200, 2400 or 4800 res (my scanner is 2400x4800 optical res.), I still get scan lines and noise of the same magnitude.

The film doesn't matter, either. I have shot every type of Ektachrome (Elitechome to you young'uns!) and Kodachrome (ASA 25, 64, 80, 100, 200) and have the same trouble will all types.

Every scan needs sharpening, but with the noise in the scan, you wind up sharpening the noise and much as the subject.

I have had some luck adjusting the black and white points, but if the slide is a 1/2 stop underexposed, the scan usually turns out mediocre no matter what. Slides that are slightly overexposed seem to turn out better. (But the slightly underexposed are the ones that look best projected!)

Using Adobe Photoshop, you can get rid of some of the scan line/noise by using the "reduce graininess" feature and then do some heavy "unsharp masking".

You can also try sharpening/softening areas of the scan selectively to avoid areas with the noise/scan lines.

I think the real solution is to get a dedicated film scanner, but they are still too rich for my budget.

Here's a good web site about scanning: http://www.scantips.com/index.html

-Don
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote