Thread: Why bother?....
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Thanks for the condescension, Chris. I never expect favors or exceptions. And, it wouldn't matter if Leonard Lipshits submitted the shot, it's irritating to any decent photographer to be rejected for a banal reason---and I think I do a decent job as a photographer. Yes, it's upsetting as hell...and I could kick myself in the butt for (1) making an issue of it, and (2) uploading this, or any other shot in the first place.

RP.net is not fun---and it should be. This is a hobby, not some kind of bizarre competition.
I wasn't being condescending at all; I was being completely honest. The vast majority of your work is fantastic and is accepted no questions asked, and citing a rare flaw here and there was a compliment, not condescension.

I guess I don't get the angst and the "reduction in enjoyment" that stems from a horizon rejection. So many aspects of this hobby are open to interpretation or vary based on personal preference, style, etc. An image being level isn't one of them. It's actually one of the very few things that is pretty much absolute - it's either level, or it's not. And it's so easy to determine and repair. It's not as if the photo in question is off by 1/4 of a degree. I don't see how that can be construed as banal.

I would further note that the other perceived issues with this particular photo that were brought up by others in this thread were never cited as rejection reasons, so I'm not sure why they are even being discussed.

As for favors or, more appropriately, exceptions, you have openly lobbied in this forum for a so-called "pass" for certain contributors for quite some time now. I don't know what other conclusion I'm supposed to draw from that.

I'm truly sorry to hear that RP has become such a major source of exasperation for you. If you want to stop submitting, I can't stop you. If you want to join others and pull your images, there's nothing I can do to stop that either. At the end of the day, the site will go on and the world will still continue to turn.

I will say, however, that I feel we've done everything we possibly could, within reason, to try to keep you happy over the years. I have absolutely no regrets in terms of that, and I don't see how we could have done anything differently.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Last edited by Chris Kilroy; 06-01-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote