Thread: Cameras
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
JRMDC

Started in the '80s as a teenager with a Pentax MX and the 50/1.7 Eventually wanted some focal length variety and got a Vivital 28-105 (used).

Put the train stuff aside, came back to it years later. Got a 400/5.6 manual focus because I thought I would be a wildlife shooter and that is what I could afford.

Got back into trains, did the Olympus IS-10 "bridge" camera, supplemented later with a 1.7x lens on the front. Nice setup. Eventually decided to up the quality and went with a Canon ElanIIe (used) and the 28-105 3.5-4.5, and a nifty fifty (used) soon thereafter. And at some point the 75-300 (used).

Digital came along and I didn't want to spend the money for a DSLR at the time so I went Canon A80 - a number of those shots are on the database. Eventually things got cheaper and I got a dRebel (used), and found that the lenses for the ElanIIe didn't make sense any more. Went with Sigma 17-70, upgraded the telephoto to 70-200/4 (used), and got a 35/2 (used) for indoor shooting without flash. Oops, forgot to mention that at some point I decided I really needed a faster buffer so, after rejecting the Rebel XT because of small size and big hands, I got a (used) 20D. Eventually decided to splurge a little and dumped the 17-70 and the 35 in favor of the 17-55 IS (used). A year later I get the itch and go ultra-wide with the 10-22 (used).

Long, crazy history, but I am happy with it all now and have no desire to change lenses or body or upgrade. (Well, I'd love to upgrade any number of things but I have no serious intent to do it.) It is all better than I am. If life had worked out differently and I were all Nikon now, that would be fine also; I'm not a Canon guy but rather a guy who ended up with Canon. I put "used" all over the place to show that one can save some money and new isn't important in this stuff.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 11-12-2008 at 03:19 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote