Thread: Cameras
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 01:51 AM   #16
jnohallman

Not counting the old 110 point and shoot (did anyone else ever shoot 110 instead of regular 35mm?), my first real camera was my dad's old Mamiya/Sekor with 50mm and 135mm primes. I can't say that I was very seriously into photography back then, but I got used to the idea of SLRs that way. The first SLR I bought for myself was a Rebel XS (yes, that would be the original film XS - don't you love how companies recycle names?) back in 1995. I was about to take a cross-country train trip, and figured I needed a new, more reliable camera - I mean, the Mamiya was probably only about 30 years old then or something. I bought the Canon (with the 35-80 kit lens and a 75-300 zoom) because the price for the features was much better than a Nikon seemed to be at the time, and the places I was looking didn't seem to think that there were any other real choices. My first foray into digital was a Powershot S50 that we really purchased for my wife - I stubbornly stuck with film. The S50 produced some very nice shots, though the thing is SLOW, so eventually I decided to go digital with my SLR. Since I already had the Canon lenses, the Rebel XT made sense, and I've been using it since. Now I'm focusing on upgrading my glass, though if I won the lottery I'd pick up a 1DS Mk III.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote