View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #13
Joey Bowman

To add to to what others have mentioned.

Keeping a copy as a TIFF can be great if you work in layers since TIFFs will keep layers instead of flatening the image like a JPG does. Of course the downside is that the file sizes can be dramatically different. A JPG from my cameras either the XT or 30D is usually around 4-7MB depending on what ISO it was shot at and how much color is in it. A TIFF with the usual layers and work that I do can easily be 60-150MB each. Also, working with and saving files as a TIFF allows you to use 16 or 32 bit color as compared to 8 bit, doing so would double my file size. Once I get a computer with better RAM (I only have 256mb) I plan to start working in 16 bit mode instead of 8.

I feel that the incredible size difference is worth it, when printing my TIFFs look much better than an image saved as JPG, I look forward to the improved difference once I start using 16bit instead of 8.

As for workflow, every photographer has their own preferred way that works best for them, there really is not a "right or wrong" way but there can be some ways that are better than others. As a "professional" working for other people doing portraits and weddings I feel the need and obligation to try my best to keep my image quality at the highest level it can be and want the image I had over to my client to have the best quality and lowest compression possible. I usually take the same approach to my train and non portrait work as I never know when I may decide to print a photo or do something with it beside posting it on RP.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote