View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Cool What does TIFF do to benefit your photography?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman View Post
To add to to what others have mentioned.

Keeping a copy as a TIFF can be great if you work in layers since TIFFs will keep layers instead of flatening the image like a JPG does. Of course the downside is that the file sizes can be dramatically different. A JPG from my cameras either the XT or 30D is usually around 4-7MB depending on what ISO it was shot at and how much color is in it. A TIFF with the usual layers and work that I do can easily be 60-150MB each. Also, working with and saving files as a TIFF allows you to use 16 or 32 bit color as compared to 8 bit, doing so would double my file size. Once I get a computer with better RAM (I only have 256mb) I plan to start working in 16 bit mode instead of 8.

I feel that the incredible size difference is worth it, when printing my TIFFs look much better than an image saved as JPG, I look forward to the improved difference once I start using 16bit instead of 8.

As for workflow, every photographer has their own preferred way that works best for them, there really is not a "right or wrong" way but there can be some ways that are better than others. As a "professional" working for other people doing portraits and weddings I feel the need and obligation to try my best to keep my image quality at the highest level it can be and want the image I had over to my client to have the best quality and lowest compression possible. I usually take the same approach to my train and non portrait work as I never know when I may decide to print a photo or do something with it beside posting it on RP.
This may sound silly to some but, I really am curious for myself. How are you gaining anything by saving to a 16 or 32 bit TIFF file if one never had that much information in the file to start with? I believe, the best in camera information can only be saved as 14 bit and that just depends on your particular body. It is possible that there is mathmatics going on here that is above my realm of thinking but, "upsampling" original file information sounds to me like Adobe is just making a "guess" as to what "should" be there as far as color and in the end, you would be adjusting that anyway. Plus, any color and noise adjustments are done to the taste of the shooter. Any takers on this?
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote