Thread: Horizon Unlevel
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #21
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisonjh View Post
Just as a point of possible interest. Up to at least the mid-nineties a railfan/photographer, at least the ones that I knew, whether alone or in a group carried a tripod & level, a scanner, a clipboard w/ form attached for recording Frame # - Date - Time - Station - Sub - Milepost - Direction - Train # - Unit #(s) - Remotes - mm - F# - Speed and film type. Oh yeah, almost forgot the voice recorder for recording info they didn't have time to write down. It got pretty hectic on group outings. Changing lenses, chasing trains. Then, when the slides came back, all of the recorded info had to be hand written on the cardboard frames. It was all quite the obsession and the main reason I lost interest. Of course the older guys would pick a good location and work it from several different angles, never in any great rush. Then they'd change locations and do it again. Much more relaxing and enjoyable.

So, thank goodness for the new technology. It's much better and almost effortless today.
I wrote a little piece in the old CTC Board Magazine several years ago about this degree of anal retentive photography. I like to know the date, where I am when the shot is taken, and maybe the train number. I kind of lost interest in the train number stuff when they stopped being "number 90," and instead became "PHUZZBLAT99X-007." Who could possibly care?

To my way of thinking, the ONLY thing that matters is "get the shot!" What purpose does it serve if you have some massive data base on your train photography---but your photography sucks!?

For me, it's a matter of priorities. The one and only priority is bring home a memorable photo. All the rest really doesn't matter...
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote