Thread: Poor lighting?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Amtrakdavis22

CoastStarlight14- It's good to see your trying. Believe me it will seem like forever and a world of frustration before that first image is accepted but the main thing is keep at it. Now here's the problem, as you move on in your photography life you will learn things and hopefully apply them to your images. Good ways to learn things is by looking at other photographers work. I learned a ton by just looking at photos by Steven M Welch. I did it almost ever day. I just kept looking and gaining new ideas. This really helped me find and setup good compositions for my photographs. Then as you do that and the photos keep getting rejected you learn more about light and other things that either make or brake a photograph. So I would go out and look at others photography and see if you can find why that photo would be accepted. That sure helped me.

That all said I'll try and help you with these photographs you posted. Now let me be clear, I don't want to offend you at all. I just want to tell you the truth.

Ok first off, none of those photos will be accepted to RailPictures.Net. And here's why:
#1 (High Sun) See the shadow below the window. That is a clear sign of high sun. The sun is almost straight above you and it casts very awkward shadows on the engine. The light during high sun times are also very unattractive. People like nice warm photos taken during the golden period. To avoid high sun don't shoot between 10am and 4pm during the summer. During the other seasons the times are a little shorter but the main thing is, don't shoot in the middle of the day. Wake up and be at your location before sunrise and shoot shoot shoot then take a nap during the middle of the day and then wake back up around 4 or 5 and shoot till nightfall. That is the easiest way to avoid high sun.

The other problem with those photos is the composition. I'm not going to go much into it but look at other photos on RP and find what is generally accepted. Try those angles at first. Then branch off into the more artsy area.

#3 (Backlit) One of the most important things I was ever told is if your not shooting artsy photographs, keep the sun to your back. Always have the light be on your subject (which is the train). Try and get a lot of light on the side and front of the train your shooting. The last thing a viewer wants is the sun in there face and they can barely see the subject.

All that said I hope you take something out of this. Look at other photographs and try to become a great photographer. It will take a lot of time a patience but you can get there. Keep shooting! -JT

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote