View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 07:03 AM   #7
Flowing

1. TVRM 610 crosses Cane Creek Trestle in Oakton, GA. I like everything that went into this shot: a steam engine on a wood trestle over a babling brook, under a clear autumn sky, and the fact that getting this shot required a short hike in the woods.

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 122436
Photograph © John Higginson

2. NS train M7M climbs past Shawsville, VA on the former N&W mainline out of Roanoke. This location, now being overgrown with trees, has been a favorite of a friend of mine for years.

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 90658

3. A Scherer coal train on NS crosses the Tennessee River drawbridge in Decatur, AL. This shot was taken from a boat, and as you can see, involved silhouetting the train and bridge against a bright sky. This was a shot I envisioned nearly two years earlier that I finally got the opportunity to try.

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 109004

4. Probably the best outing of the year involved chasing the Georgia Southwestern F units on a regular freight. The sun was out most of the day but at bad angles compared to the direction the train was running, until finally we landed this shot at Georgetown, GA.

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 94901

5. A Scherer coal train being detoured on the former CofG (a short-lived practice) splits the signals at Smiths Station, AL. This is one of my favorite locations on the line, and the combination of the orange BNSF power, green foliage, white water tower set against a cloudy backround, and classic Southern signals make this one of my all-time favorites.

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 119527

Last edited by Flowing; 01-06-2006 at 07:17 AM. Reason: typos
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote