Thread: Hdr?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 05:45 AM   #60
Serrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Serrator, I still don't understand your concern...
Np. We can leave it at that.

Quote:
Aside from that, I disagree with your technical assessment of dynamic range. My sense, informed only by general reading and not engineering background, is that DR is a much tougher nut to crack than noise reduction. For one, even if the sensor manages to capture a wider dynamic range, there will still be the problem of how to best map that range into the narrower range that the usual display devices can attain. That is where the disagreements or differences in preference lie, and that is not going to be resolved by a different sensor technology.
True, it supposedly is a tougher nut to crack, but there may be other ways to crack the nut! I suspect if they can't get around the sensor DR increasing (which they will) they may take 3 or more images simultaneously in camera and do the conversion/TM as well in camera...so this would negate multi-image issues, such ghosting and such and allow us to then make our final normal adjustments to tweak in the image from the real to surreal. I also predict our monitors will be catching up as well...okay I know not much of a prediction when they already exist...they are just a little pricey!
Serrator is offline   Reply With Quote