View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #12
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I suspect that with the raw image, I could probably tweak it and make it look better than it does. That said, even the best edit probably won't ever get it on RP. The cut-off truck is just too distracting.

This is one of the reasons why I tend to avoid grade crossing shots or scenes in which the public could potentially interfere at the last minute....because sure as shootin', they will. Shooting steam in public is even worse than shooting Class 1 stuff, because there's always "cell phone dude" in a red shirt who will walk right into your frame at the worst possible moment.

I do find it a fun challenge however, to make an acceptable photo in a crappy light situation. Here's an example of one that looked impossible when I first saw it. The sun was just outside the frame and the shadows down low were really dark. Maybe not awesome, but far better than I would have imagined at the time:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 509595
Photograph © Kevin Madore
Also Kevin,

Your shot was out of harsh light, so you did not have the stark contrast of backlighting combined with a (visibly) dark side facing the viewer.

You can pull of a shot like that in different conditions, which the OP's is not.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote