View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 06:37 AM   #8
SamD

Quote:
I know you don't want to hear about other flaws in the photo, but look at them as possible rejections down the road if they ever decide to the let bad angle go
I think you may have misunderstood what ticked me off on that other thread. I welcome any input you have about the photo... what bugs me is imput about everything but the specific rejection reason. I mean, yes, looking at other issues is important, but theoretical rejections are moot if you can't get solve the existent one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Muller View Post
Well, since you want to hear specifically about the bad angle rejection - the angle is bad. If you want me to elaborate here it is... the angle doesn't work (for me as a viewer) because so much is cut off on the photo, on the top. It isn't framed with anything. except the bridge and the highway and they are just 'kinda there'.
Okay, this is a good thought. Because it was angle, not C/B I was focusing in on the train, thinking "what the heck is wrong with this angle of the train?" But I can see what you're saying about the composition.

I was trying to go for a telesmash to get all the vertical lines, and then use the bridge as an anchor for the top of the photo, with the train holding the bottom. I can see where this wouldn't work for everyone.

As for the third photo, I was also bothered by the sort of emptiness of the top half, but I was hoping the strong duality of the el next to the CSX tracks with the stored cars would off-set that.

Quote:
Just because you can barely make out what the writing is in the photo doesn't mean there aren't image quality issues. There isn't a crisp spot in the photo. It isn't just the train and the smude/salt/snow/ice you credit, look at the road signs and the cars. It is like a soft or possibly blurry photo is trying to be corrected by oversharpening. Image quality is a problem in these photos, sorry for honest feedback.
I don't know, the IQ on the first two looks good on my screen, including sharpness (by good I mean consistent with my published RP subbmissions). The third one I felt borderline as a result of straining the effective range of my sensor and 200mm lens, and honestly I expected either bad IQ or it would be accepted. Bad angle surprised me.

Quote:
Unless you have some specific personal ethics against it, I don't think you have to worry about spot sharpening. It is much more utilized than you'd think.
Hahah, no, I don't have anything against it, but I guess I thought it was frowned on here. I do use it for stuff that's focus related, but I've been leery of using it for stuff like this on RP (although, who would honestly know the difference if I did?).

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to give your input. I think it demystified these shots a bit for me.
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote