View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 03:49 AM   #21
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
I look at the histogram as a tool for making sure as much data as possible is recorded by the camera. Clipping to me means that data is lost, either highlights are blown out or shadow detail is lost. Some times capturing all the data means an over or under exposed image in terms of what the eye sees. That is why we run the images through Photoshop, Lightroom, or some other similar program to adjust the "exposure", which may in some cases include darkening the highlights and lightening the shadow areas. That is my theory, interested how others see it.
"Expose for the highlights, let the shadows fall where they may". Do you really need a histogram when you have a spotmeter? [There I go again...]
Blown highlights are hopeless unless you can replace them somehow. Shadows may or may not be blocked up, blotchy, or contain other horrible artifacts like red or green pixels.
And yes, shadows and highlights adjustments, as well as gamma adjustments are indispensable to me. That's why I uninstalled the latest version of Windows 10, because Microsoft went with a new editor which has all preset modes or effects.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 06-09-2017 at 04:03 AM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote