View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 04:54 AM   #3
JRMDC

Each camera manufacturer makes their own proprietary file format for their raw files (PEF for Pentax?, NEF for Nikon?, CR2 for Canon). DNG is a file format specification created by Adobe which they are touting as a standard. Adobe provides programs you can download to convert your raw files to DNG.

The question becomes one of which standard do you think will be supported down the road. Adobe would like you to think theirs will last longer because it is "independent".

Personally - and this is not my area - I find it hard to believe that old camera formats won't be supported for a long, long time. Even the latest ACR from Adobe maintains support of the Canon D30 and D60, which are back from when? A long time ago.

I am figuring that, when the time appears to be coming, at that point I might convert all my CR2 files to DNG or whatever. But I don't need to do it yet.

As for what to shoot now if you have a choice, well, the question becomes what does your software support, and how well? You may want to do some test comparisons and see which works well for you. Maybe it makes no difference, I don't know.

Looking forward to what others have to say.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote