Thread: Pro vs Anti RP
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #46
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
And I don't think anyone is saying they improved solely on rejections from RP. But many people can certainly give credit to RP and the people involved here for their improvement, me included.
Right on, Jim. RP is like having a coaching staff. They can point out the errors that I'm making, show me examples of work that meets a higher standard and even give me tips on how to do it better. BUT, I still have to go out, scout the shots, pick the days and times, compose the shots, expose them properly and postprocess them into decent images. All of the advice and assistance will be for naught, if I don't put it to good use.

A word on J's comment about "wading".....

I'm not a huge fan of common power roster shots or 3/4 wedgies either, but guess what? There apparently are legions of people who are. I can't count the number of times I've looked at the "Most Popular" list for a given day and seen a standard wedge or a roster of some non-descript diesel sitting at the top of the heap. In many cases, these shots have topped some really artistic stuff. Based on this, I think wading is going to continue to be a fact of life for most of us. RP is so successful because it presents a wide variety of railroad imagery. If a given individual's tastes are more limited, one has to wade a bit. The shot categories (night, snow, steam, wreck, yard etc. etc) do help some with wading. Perhaps some additional categories are in order to make the pools more shallow.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote