View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 10:42 PM   #16
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
When you're there, I advise you follow these guidelines:

1. Get to a location at least a few minutes ahead of the train. That way you will have time to assess the location and move on if it isn't good.

2. Look through the viewfinder and decide before the train arrives on a composition that will satisfy the rule of thirds. If the location doesn't work, move on to a different location.

3. If the shadow that your body casts is not pointing directly at the spot where the lead locomotive will be when the train arrives, it is the wrong time of day to be at that location. Again, move to a different location.

If you keep these in mind, you should come home with some images that will not need to be "force-fit" into the RP database. As Kevin said above, post them here for comments before trying to upload, as the screeners have limited patience for repeated bad submissions.
I will add to these recommendations that you make sure you have HARD shadow, and that your shadow is longer than you are tall.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote