View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
Hi Kevin,

Currently, I am mainly using the Nikkor 18-200mm (1:3.5-5.6 GII) lens with my D7000. What would be an equivalent lens (focal length and aperture range) when switching to the Z6? Do you know if I still would be able to use the Nikon Capture NX2 software with the Z6? I suppose that both the D7000 and the Z6 are shooting NEF files.

Many thanks in advance for your comments.
kind regards,
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

The Nikon 18-200mm "DX" lens that you have been using is what I refer to as a "do-all" lens. It covers a wide range of focal lengths from wide angle to medium telephoto. The advantage is that you carry ONE camera and ONE lens and you're not always changing lenses. There's a lot of merit in that. The downside is that optical performance on the "do-all" lenses is not typically as good as what you can find on the "pro" lenses, and they are not typically as fast. But if you are OK with the results you get with this type of arrangement, it sure beats lugging around a backpack full of expensive glass, or hanging two cameras on your body, like I do.

If you move to a Z6, you'll also be making a move to a Full Frame (FF) camera, so you'll have some decisions to make. You can either buy an existing Nikon FF lens, of which there is a large selection, or you can buy one of the new "native" "S" lenses that are designed specifically for the Z-cameras. Unfortunately, Nikon's "S" lens program is still a work in progress, and the number of "native" lenses available for the Z-cameras is still small.

If you want to buy a Z-camera today, and you want something with the FF equivalent of your 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S DX VR lens, you will want to purchase the Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens, which will set you back about $950. That lens has CLOSE to the same focal lengths as your existing lens, but it's not quite as wide on the wide end (it's 28mm vs. 24mm, which would be the equivalent of 18mm on a DX camera.). I don't personally like giving up that 4mm, because most of my money shots end up being shot fairly wide, but several, well-known rail photographers use that lens, including at least one magazine editor that I know.

Of course, if you opt for the above lens, you will need to get the FTZ Adapter with your Z-camera, because G lenses have a different mount than the native S lenses. Lately, Nikon has been offering deals in which they throw in the FTZ Adapter for free. I would wait for one of those deals.

Also, beware that Nikon's D-series lenses.....and older series of glass that Nikon still offers....DO NOT auto-focus with the Z-camera. The D lenses require a focusing motor in the camera, and the Z does not have one. If you are going to use regular DSLR glass with your Z, you need G-series or E-series lenses (that have an internal focusing motor).

Hope that helps!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote