View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #25
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

I am hardly an expert on EHD's, since I got my first one yesterday. But in researching the possibilities, one of the things that was worrisome are the horror stories posted by people that have used them. Apparently a lot of EHD's fail rather quickly. This is just a guess on my part, but the competitiveness of the market suggests manufacturers are under a lot of pressure to reduce costs, and one way to do that is to reduce quality.

If you're using EHD's for backup and/or archival storage, seems to me that one of the key considerations is reliability, even if you have to pay extra for it. A failed backup is no backup.

I asked a friend who works for Apple about this, and he suggested that the G-technology EHD's have a reputation for reliability. They are a bit more expensive (I paid $199 plus tax for 250 gigs), but hopefully the extra cost did in fact get me reliability. We'll see. My plan is to get two of the machines and do identical backups on each.

As somebody else mentioned, scanning old slides is a very tedious process and you really don't want to have to do it twice, so my scans get the added backup of being burned to gold CD's.

Of course, all this is on my desk, with the slides in a nearby closet, so if the house burns down I'll be out of luck.

John

Last edited by John West; 06-28-2007 at 03:14 PM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote