View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #14
mersenne6

If your situation permits, another thing to do is just go trackside on a day for railfanning and just work that particular line. Stick around even when the sun angle gets too high and simply take note of train times and directions. If it is any kind of a mainline the trains will have schedules and they won't vary that much from day to day.

During the periods of high sun - take a drive (or bicycle) and a road map and check out every grade crossing on a particular line - note the interesting ones on your map and think about things like sun angle/ime of day/time of year at those places that you find visually interesting.

I've done this with the two major roads in my area (CSX and NS) and armed with just the above mentioned information it is fairly easy to schedule future times at your locations of choice and not wait too long for a train to fill your viewfinder.

If you do this you also save yourself a lot of time waiting for trains that will never come. In my case there are two very photogenic places within a 20 minute drive that would make for fantastic sunrise/sunset shots but on that stretch of track and that road those hours are dead - no traffic at all.
mersenne6 is offline   Reply With Quote