View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post
The "interestingness" might be the issue with this subject. I do recall all but one image of this railcar being rejected - including sunny shots so it may be that the screener really doesn't like it. Anyway they should just say that it is not interesting rather than it's too common etc. As far as photo editing is concerned I steer clear of Lightroom because of "grain." I shoot RAW, adjust highlights etc and convert in Canon DPP, edit and resize JPG in Photo Shop Elements and sharpen in DPP. If anyone wants to demonstrate what they can do, the full size image can be downloaded from Flickr.com: https://www.flickr.com/photos/139637...posted-public/
I can't speak to the other rejections as I have not seen them or the reasons they were rejected. The shot in question - and I think I can say this, John, you have hundreds of shots on RP and elsewhere and obviously know how to take a picture - is dull, lifeless. The light is as flat as light gets, and photography, after all, is the capture of light. The scene is barren other than the one tree, and I consider it not a train shot as much as a roster shot. RP holds roster shots to a much higher standard than scene shots. For that matter the tree is poorly placed, and the shot is imbalanced left to right. In general the non-train part of the scene lacks interest. Were it to make it on RP it would descend to the lowest part of your range of images here.

In other words, don't think anymore about "rescuing" this image for RP. Work on a better one and go back and retake this train if you can. You have done much, much better, and have done so many, many times.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote