Thread: A tone story
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 01:20 AM   #4
JRMDC

One correction: in your channel mixing diagram, you are incorrect in showing a solid block lower left, as red and green are also opposites and are easily mixed apart

One comment, harsh but friendly: you don't really have any shots here that illustrate the topic well, and in particular you certainly do not have a shot here which generates some inspiration or even curiosity pushing someone to do BW. Also, the shots are rather weak in showing the differences. The first, the red shows, but the green weed is barely visible in the color so its disappearance in the BW is no big loss. The photographer shadow shots, I don't see miuch difference (personally, I suppose) between color and BW. And the last example, what is the point there? You are showing that you can make an image more uniform tonally, of less interest, by sliding the green slider?

You have a decent description of things but poor illustrations, in my view.

Also, I don't think you get to the heart of things. There are two reasons to do BW:

a) the original has weakly differentiated colors but strongly differentiated tonality (so do a basic BW conversion, suppress the color, and make the tonality the primary emphasis). This can be especially true with steam - black engine, white plume, grays elsewhere.

b) the original has strongly differentiated colors and weakly differentiated tonality, but you have reason for wanting BW or you see some potential (so do a channel mixed conversion, turn the color variation into interesting tonal variation).

I think you have started the write-up, but have not nearly finished one.

Critical commentary but offered in a spirit of friendship!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote