Thread: JPEGS and RAW
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
RAW captures more detail
Being a fan of clear discussion ...

What does this mean? Raw does not capture more pixels than jpg.

In theory it is possible that Raw, being 14-bit color (or 12-bit, whatever) will capture two sets of pixels side by side whose color varies ever so slightly, and the jpg would group them into one color. But I don't think this is what people mean when they casually say "more detail". This you would not notice on screen, for example, and it would be difficult to see in print.

Perhaps it means that raw gives you some latitude in exposure so you are less likely to lose detail in areas because they don't blow out. But, it would be clearer to say that with raw one is less likely to have blown out areas.

Anyway, not intending to pick on Chase particularly, but people can be sloppy when discussing this stuff, just human nature, casual board posting, and here it is not clear.

To me the benefit of raw is the white balance and the over/underexposure latitude. For someone more serious/persnickety about color than I, it also means more color detail/richness (if one is printing directly out of software, not if one is printing from a jpg or displaying on screen).

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote