View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 03:24 AM   #12
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17 View Post
Some of the newer Nikon bodies are capable of HDR from the camera. The D700 can also do this, but it still requires you to stack the images in your chosen software package.

That said, in the photo in question, it was fairly simple. It's 2 exposures, one at 10 seconds with zero flashes, and the final WITH flashes at 1/200th of a second with the train in the scene.

The flashes were not moved at any point during the production of the shot.
For whatever reason, I cannot see the Flickr image that started this thread, but I don't see the problem with the type of image that you describe. You are just using an innovative technique to capture a scene that might not be as well captured using more conventional techniques.

You mention the in-camera HDR feature of the Nikons. I have experimented with that on my D4, and it's pretty much limited to shooting off a tripod. It takes two quick shots at different exposures and then attempts to blend the two into one file. The photographer can either let the camera determine the difference in exposure, or control it more closely. The only drawback that I see is that the result is a JPEG file, not a raw file.

Here is an example:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 478762
Photograph © Kevin Madore

The shot is challenging, because the locomotive is in a very dark location, yet you have skylights behind it that are normally blown completely to hell if you try to balance the exposure. Although this shot is no great shakes, you can at least see the details in the window frames. In every conventional attempt that I made, most of those details are nuked.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote