Thread: Fire
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17 View Post
Is RP.net a photography site, or a news website?
The easy and most obvious answer is: Yes! It can be both and nowhere do they suggest otherwise. They obviously accept newsworthy shots and sometimes those shots are, shall we say, less than great. But this is a railroad photography web site and it would seem silly to reject a newsworthy shot because it's not perfect.
Quote:
I don't go to RP.net looking for news, I go looking for quality photos of railroad subjects.
And that's totally fine. For you.
Quote:
This particular specimen is piss poor in quality, especially for RP's occasionally enforced standards. First rejection should have been for "distracting shadows" (tree shadows on side of railcar, foreground in shade). Second rejection "unlevel" since it's obvious the photographer didn't level the photo at all. Thirdly, the cropping is awful, cropped off half of the passenger car, wires and poles hanging in the background with no place to go.
To be honest, I didn't note any of those issues except for the cropping until you brought them up. When I was in news if I went to shoot this scene and came back empty handed, my boss would want to know why. If I said, "but there were distracting shadows on the car, all those power lines and poles..." Well first, my boss would have a heart attack. And then they would have screamed at me so loud that windows would have shattered, the anchors ears would have bled and the boss would have broken vocal cords.

Of course, this isn't a newsroom, as you are about to say. But the point remains. You don't reject what frankly is a unique shot for reasons that people would have brought a typical shot in here for complaining about. It shows something I personally have never seen -- a car on fire after being hit by a train. I guess I have seen the aftermath before, but not the actual scene.

At a passenger platform, nonetheless. The real story here might actually be that only two people lost their lives and not more.