View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Bad plan,
Buy yourself a decent camera now, either the Canon S series or another super zoom would work good. You can take perfectly good pictures with it, i had have 200 shots in the database, never used a SLR. Once you know how to use light and compose a picture and can take good shots with the Point n shoot, you can buy a SLR if you so choose, and by that time you will have money for one and a decent lens more than likely.
The FZ35 does like a good camera and maybe better than the SX20/10, the ISO performance does look to be better from the reviews. The one thing i really do like about the S series though is the tilting screen (well i did till mine shorted out and now everything is in red o vision, pro turns into a con if that happens), the use of AA batteries (When the battery indicators starts flashing as you hear TFM SD70MAC's roaring in the distance you know what i mean) and that the controls are pretty similar to what you will find on a Canon SLR making the step up easier.
If you want to go for a SLR and you have the means to do so, by all means do it. For some reason people think a SLR is needed to take good pictures, far from the case, its the photographer not the camera. I had a friend who until recently was using a Kodak clickbox digital camera and was taking pictures the same quality as a SLR, me and most people who had seen his shots were astounded if not actually mad at what he was using.
Nikos, my plan isn't a bad one. Perhaps when you've operated an SLR, you will agree with me, but until then, I would take others opinions into consideration. While an SLR at times, can appear quite expensive, it is ultimately the way to go if a beginner is learning to become more serious with the hobby. If he is just wanting to take photos for when he is occasionally trackside or has no real serious interest in photograph, then sure, a P&S is a good idea. They produce good images.

Still, I've used a Kodak P&S, and I regret not upgrading to an SLR sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
That's wacko crazy talk, you first want to learn manual exposure.
Ha...

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote