Thread: Hdr?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 AM   #67
Serrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
As others have clearly stated repeatedly, you seem to be missing the entire point.
Chase, is it that I have to be "missing the point", or that perhaps I don't agree with the point presented? I think I completely understand some of the folks comments/opinions/thoughts/hopes, but just because I may not agree or have some other viewpoint consistent with the guidelines...it falls into the realm of interpretation, mine perhaps more strict, while others more loosely. No big deal.

Quote:
The other members, who are obviously quite familiar with the guidelines on manipulation have told you what is acceptable and what is not.
Let me get you up to speed and better informed...here are some of what these same members have told me and or said in other threads regarding HDR:

"No, they aren't technically in the realm of what would be accepted as it violates the manipulated 'guidelines'"

"If I want to see digital manipulation, I'll play a video game."

"It's not about capturing the image anymore, it's how can I best use my software to manipulate it? With HDR, pseudo-HRD, etc., the skill being displayed is how good someone is on their computer, not with their camera. And to me, that = fail."

"It's even more subjective what editing is tasteful and what isn't. Hell, this is an argument that could go on indefinitely between the uploading-unedited-jpg crowd and my camp, and nobody would be any closer to a clear definition of manipulation rules on this site."

"HDR shots are interesting creations, but they are just that - creations... not photographs (at least in the traditional sense)."

"Only thing allowed should be sharpening, resize and leveling and lets see how many people stop submitting because they know their shots are PURE CRAP without the big Photoshop enhancements."

"Unfortunately, the "no major editing allowed" is simply not enforced enough here, leaving us with the inconsistency that, as John pointed out earlier, only gives the anti-RP crowd more ammunition. This is one area that I wish there would be a "black or white" type rule for, but I guess it doesn't matter as long as the nose door is closed!"

"If your photos are manipulated, I don't want to see them and they do not belong on this website. "

...and lastly a quote from Mr. Weens himself on his thoughts about HDR that I asked him:
"I can't speak for the admin, but I do think this falls outside of the scope of allowed manipulation."

So, you see maybe it is not so clear as you may have thought and others have mentioned the same as I view the guidelines. Here are couple more for reference regarding the guidelines:

"A pity. There are some who still take the view that only the techniques we had available in the 19th century are valid for RR photos. I honestly don't understand the thinking, but it's not my website."

"Looking at today's #1 PCA, which is obviously HDR, why is it allowed? I figured it was manipulation. If it's going to be allowed, then change the rules, but, LET EVERYBODY VOTE ON IT."

I am not alone in my estimation of the guidelines.

Quote:
While yes, you're correct in that the current guidelines state that manipulation of any sort, is strictly prohibited, but as of recent years, it is clearly visible that HDR and similar associates of HDR are accepted into the database.
So my view is validated?? I have been consistent in my view of the guidelines, I can't say the same for others who seem to have shifted their view while the guidelines have not moved one letter. Which is fine, I will continue to honor the original guideline requests and others will see fit to do what they want. I think I may have been the first to even ask about HDR back in '07, so it is of interest to me to see how it developed here. btw all of the above quotes are within the last couple of years.

Quote:
I'm still uncertain as to what the big deal is and the nearly two page debate. If you're a frequent visitor to RP, you'll notice from time to time, that HDR stuff is accepted. So why continue to make a fuss and make a huge and rather pointless deal over it?
Who said it was "big deal"? Not me. "Fuss", no consternation here, I just asked a simple question and get zinged for it...so if you mean fuss from others than you will have to ask them. I admit I have a interest in HDR otherwise I wouldn't ask such questions and or discuss it. Why do you find it "pointless", I found that this issue is still in the same shape it was 2 years ago...some say yes some say no and the only one that matters is RP and they remain silent IMHO. So are you telling me to stop checking in on any rule changes?
Serrator is offline   Reply With Quote