View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

The LED number boards are the absolute devil for us night timers.

Working with the 'light' is more important when shooting in the darkness, than it is in daylight in my humble nocturnal opinion. In this scene (which is already RP ruined by the pile of rail blocking the engine), your light was heavy on the opposite side of the engines, and lacking everywhere else. This type of situation would dictate the use of additional 'fill' lighting provided by flash, latern, laser, etc. to even out the exposure. Kevin's suggestion to expose a shot for the number boards, and then expose one for the rest of the scene is also spot on. I didn't use to care about blown out number boards, but the LED's can create a giant nasty blob of junk quickly.

For night shooting in general, I'd suggest keeping as low an iso as possible, usually. I used to swear by iso 100 for everything. As I get older and less patient, I'm game to fire at any iso level between 100 and 3200. As long as you nail the exposure, and do not fiddle with brightening the shot in post process, high iso shots can be done well, even for print sizes (and easily for web sized photos).

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote