View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 05:50 AM   #4
firegator

So far as I know, Western Pacific did not run north of The Feather River Canyon-- It tied in w/ BN at Keddie-- In the early days of the 1900's, The Sacramento Northern which was taken over by WP ran into Oakland, CA. SN provided both freight and passenger service until around the mid-30's, and freight only after that time-- SN ran southwest out of Sacramento ultimately reaching a rail ferry which carried the trains across The Sacramento River west of Pittsburg, CA.-- I believe the ferry was discontinued in the 40's, but the line ran as far as St, Marys College east of Orinda until the mid 50's-- All trains to this point were electrically powered-- The tracks were taken up back to Walnut Creek by the early 60's, and eventually back to Clyde by the mid 70's-- Clyde was the SN interchange w/ the railway for The Naval Weapons Station, Concord-- SN & WP hauled a lot of material into NWS-- SN/WP used trackage rights on the ATSF from Stockton, CA. after the ferry was discontinued-- SN/WP ran on ATSF to Pittsburg, CA. where they got on their own trackage which ran to Port Chicago, then south about 4 miles to Clyde-- SN/WP hauled a lot of material into and out of the U S Steel Mill at Pittsburg, to and from The U S Steel plant near Salt Lake City, UT.-- Of course, WP Tracks ran across Northern Nevada paralleling The SP Main into Utah-- Ultimately through an agreement, all WP & SP traffic ran east on the WP, and west on the SP, providing better utilization of trackage--
SN/WP ran north out of Sacramento to Marysville/Yuba City, then north to Chico-- As far as I know, they never ran north of Chico-- This line was de-electrified I'm told in the late 50's, but service was provided by diesel power well into the 80's-- I will try to locate the site regarding this information. and post it for you-- Hope this helps-- da Gator
firegator is offline   Reply With Quote