View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

It was a fun night, and nice to finally put the experiment to work.

We used 10 speedlights for the scene. After fine tuning the power levels to give a nice even result, we started shooting. Not one single flash was at full power for the record.

There's no issue whatsoever with freezing the train. The flash duration is around 1/800th of a second when you do the math at the power levels we used. Out of the 20-some trains we shot, none had the physical shell of the train blurred. We did learn quite a bit about the interaction with the lit number boards, and I adjusted my method to address it. Sean shot the Acelas, which do not have lit number boards. he was able to allow the train to come further into the scene successfully. So no problem shooting Acelas at 120-125mph with OCF.

The Sprinters and Marc units (and Cab Cars) have wonderfully bright LED number boards, so the closer they were to the camera the more apparent the blur was. At 110mph, the train traveled from six inches to nearly a foot forward during the 1/250th - 1/160th exposure. So getting as head on as possible, and firing when the nose was placed further back in the scene proved to be the ticket to tame the number boards.

Keeping the train rearward did allow a good view of the Bridge and the museum, which leaves no doubt as to where we shot.

I do wish that Canon allowed HSS control when using a transmitter in the hot shoe. Flash sync is 1/180th so I had to shoot 1/160th to prevent shutter curtain. Oh well.

Thanks for the interest!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 06-04-2019 at 04:29 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote