Thread: more Rejections
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 06:22 AM   #42
WetRailsWA

Send a message via MSN to WetRailsWA

Thank you all, for the honest comments. It's nice to know that photographic experience is a couple clicks away. Instead of just monitoring the forums for feedback on other photos, I'll make sure to enlist this kind of help in the future by posting rejections here. You've sold me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
There's no 'gift' in photography, really. Yes, some people have an eye for composition more so than others, but the basics of photography are pretty much a science. Doing X with the camera will lead to Y results. It's about learning how your equpiment works under different circumstances and how to adjust when you know the camera's brain won't keep up. If you have the belief that your "skill level will make me a perpetual amateur," then you have already limited your potential. When you start believing you can do something, that's the first step to getting there.

It's not a lack of skill that's hurting your photography, it's your belief that you're skillz are "not good enough..."
I truly believe there is a gift involved with photography, just like someone might have the gift of music (my wife) or even gab for that matter (her step-mom). And I believe a lot of you have one. Yes, there is science. Filters, Kodachrome, Ansel Adams and The Zone Method and all that (if I'm influenced by anything camera based, it would be his use of contrast). But in an unusual move, photography also adds the subjective eye to that science. Therefore, I don't believe it's as simple as x leads to y. There's "the feeling" that the shot is right, which is then backed up by the ability of the equipment you carry. I think this is where I fall short; where I see a great shot with my subjective eye, one filled with a nice steam engine and great Northwest fall foliage, a screener sees too dark. Yes, frustrating but not the end of the world. It's akin to the trombone player who loves big-brass jazz and plays well in 2nd chair, but falls flat as a soloist. You've got lead guitarists (Eric Clapton), and you've got rythm guitarists (Bruce Springsteen and Pete Townsend). They're all musicians (darn good ones at that), and each one has a gift for a certain type. I am comfortable as 2nd chair. If I were to claim a photographic gift of some kind, it would be passion for the shot even if I'm only able to back it up with basic skill.

You make a good point; maybe I am limiting myself by saying that I'm not good enough; probably time for me to listen to more coaches. Given the round a commentary here, I will keep trying and make an effort to learn from the people who do have the eye. With time, maybe that basic skill of mine could get a jump start.

Thanks again and enjoy the week.
WetRailsWA is offline   Reply With Quote