View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #86
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662 View Post
I guess I'll toss my name into the "18 and under" hat. I'm 16 now (17 in February) but I've been in photography for nearly ten years. I also have nearly 120 photos on RP (although admittedly no where near the caliber of Chase and some of the other young guns on this site) , so that further dismantles the old "RP hates young people" hypothesis.
Thanks Austin for the positive and encouraging words! I appreciate it greatly. You've got some nice stuff in the database yourself! It's clearly visible you have the creative "eye" for certain compositions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662 View Post
The key is practice. Five years ago I found it extremely hard to get photos worthy of acceptance onto Railpictures, and most of the shots that did get on wouldn't stand a chance with today's screening standards. I'll admit that I've been very frustrated at rejections I've received (even today), but you have to move on. Give it time and a lot of patience and you will see an improvement in your work. As the others have said, constructive criticism is one of the best ways to learn, you can receive that by posting your images here for review before you submit them to the screeners.
Indeed, practice is the best advice. Learning from your mistakes, or perhaps in this case, learning from rejections, is ultimately the best motive to improving your skills. As many members say, the best way to start off is by understanding and capturing a simply scene. Once you mastered the "wedgie" or the "telesmash", you can then, if you desire, move onto the more unique and creative compositions that require the thinking cap.

As for the young generation on RP, I wasn't aware of so many young guns on here until now. I kinda of figured I was one of perhaps two or three, but alas, there seems to be at least half a dozen, if not more. It's definitely nice to see the younger generation participating in what I find the most successful railroad image site on the web.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide