View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #12
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffat Road View Post
Iíve seen submissions accepted on the same day from the exact location, same wedge angle, with only the locomotives being different.
I've seen submissions accepted on the same day from the exact location, same wedge angle, with the SAME locomotives.

This is aggravating to patrons who are not given that option - especially when their images are no where near as similar. Barring some kind of crazy (and undesirable) photo recognition technology, this will forever be a point of contention between this site and it's patrons. And it's a well known practice to simply resubmit at a later date - so it gets in anyway.

Regardless - I say, bring it on! Sometimes the slightest nuance can make all the difference in the world - and in favor of either variation to different people. Some folks like warm photos, some like it cool. Some like rods down, some do not care. Taking an image from 2 feet above the ground vs standing vs using a ladder, while all similar, can make all the difference to another photographer as can shooting wide and cropping vs shooting telephoto without cropping - neither one is "better" but one may have a completely different appeal to a certain audience. Heck, I've gone back and re-shot a scene only to capture different cloud formations or steam engine plumes. Bring it on. Is it "BEST railroad photos on the net" or "Our favorite railroad photos (or first posted) photos on the net"?

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote