View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #12
KevinM

The fortunate thing is that many photographers are constantly upgrading their gear, so there are a lot of great second-hand cameras out there, at reasonable prices. You can buy used gear from a store, which will usually charge you a premium price for their "warranty", or you can buy from a private individual, preferably someone you know, who treats his/her equipment well. The latter will be cheaper, and the risk can be manageable. Even a 5-year-old, low-end DSLR will give a newbie photographer a much better human interface and a greater degree of control, than a Point-And-Shoot (P/S). The P/S cameras were designed for people who don't want to have to care about how the image is captured, and for the most part, don't have the high standards for image quality that you'll find among the RP crowd.

I owned a P/S camera for a couple of years in the early 2000s and rapidly got sick of crappy EVFs, shutter lag, and all manner of other annoying characteristics. I gave the thing away to my nephew, who just wanted a snap-shot camera. In fact, I gave away my D40x and my D90, which produced a lot of my early shots here on RP. What the camera stores would give me for them was peanuts compared to the value that the new owners are getting.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote