View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 04:08 AM   #5
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
While I have traveled all over the US many times, this was my first dedicated railfan trip out West. I knew the shots were there, but it was way too easy to gather a memory card full of keepers. We didn't see a single cloud except for 6 hours on one day of the trip! Elevation is easy, no trees to speak of, no access issues, no lack of traffic, etc. Already planning my next trip.

Loyd L.
Nice stuff, Loyd. I had a similar experience on my first California railfan trip 36 (yikes!) years ago. I came away with a slightly different opinion of Cajon vs. Tehachapi. After a day or two of shooting the "easy" shots on Cajon, we started setting up at locations that required some effort to get to. With its three separate grades, we repeatedly watched trains on the other two lines, or trains going in the wrong direction on the line where we were set up. As a single track with passing sidings operation, Tehachapi was much less frustrating, and more the type of railroading that we were used to.

We spent nine days there, and didn't see a cloud. There was nothing that felt better than the damp air that greeted us when we landed after a rainstorm at Dulles.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.

Last edited by Decapod401; 11-09-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote