Thread: Greetings all
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 01:56 AM   #18
Noct Foamer

The engine was parked, so you had a lot of time. I often stomp down any weeds like that, or cut them with either my Swiss Army knife or a folding saw. The other problem was the direction of the light. I've come to think that recognizing Light is the most important skill a photographer can develop. It takes some time. The second most important skill is Previsualization--the ability to visualize how a photo will turn out before you take it. That one wasn't really a factor here as the subject was stationary. Looking at your photo, the engine is interesting and I like the colors. I assume this was shot in late evening? The photo probably would have worked if you had cut the weeds and taken it in the morning, when the sun would have been coming from the opposite direction? On an overcast day (or at night) you don't have to worry about the sun's direction.

To learn, what I suggest you start doing is looking at photos you really like and begin analyzing them. What direction was the Light coming from? What kind of light was it? How did the photographer compose and balance the photo? How were lines used? And finally, did you get a feel of what it was like to be there from the photo? (see my photo below.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/968260...posted-public/

Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 10-09-2017 at 01:59 AM.
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote