View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
PLEzero

Traffic on the W&LE east end can be very difficult to catch. As stated above, the grain trains have been gone for about 3 years now. The information about the coke trains, however, is wrong. About two years ago you could set your watch W-F to the crew starting its work in Rook at 1700. Unfortunately, those days are now gone. The future of the Monesson plant is uncertain but it is my understanding that they will eventually start back up. Rook is still active with trains coming from Mingo Jct. into Rook for connection with CSX in Connellsville and connection with the AVR in Bruceton.

Your best bet is to post on this message board when your much closer to your trip to find out the current operations.

http://members.boardhost.com/WLERailway/

AVR runs M-F from AVR Glenwood Yard to NS Island Ave Yard. You can catch it anytime from 0900-1500. Most often between 1100-1300. They call the NS dispatcher for permission onto the NS and for yard instructions. Sometimes they can turn around in 30 minutes and sometimes they have to wait 3 hours for the NS local to set off its cars. They will also request permission for a signal to leave the yard and return to AVR trackage at CP Bloom so you will know when they are on the move. This train is known as AVR-1 on home rails and KC-32 on NS. The AVR to Washington I believe runs M-W-F might that might be wrong. You can usually catch them heading south around 0900.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/unofficialavrswp

Image © Brad Morocco
PhotoID: 274042
Photograph © Brad Morocco

Image © Brad Morocco
PhotoID: 239971
Photograph © Brad Morocco

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 286309
Photograph © John Ireland

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 273316
Photograph © John Ireland
My RP.net Photos

Last edited by PLEzero; 01-09-2010 at 07:31 PM.
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote