View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 02:55 AM   #3
ShortlinesUSA

Joe, I think a lot of us knew this was coming at some point. I hate to see you lose "your" shortline, much as some of us up here felt when the Maryland Midland went to Genesee & Wyoming. One thing I will say is that I think the G&O will be a good parent to the L&C, unlike if one of the larger conglomerates had picked them up.

I see a lot of the discussion on Carolina Rails, and theories of things quickly being repainted. Let me add a point on that-- we are in uncharted territory with this acquisition by G&O. Most of the properties they've bought over the years have been small in size. I just don't see them being in a huge rush to paint everything, especially since they aren't necessarily flush with power or big leasers of power, for that matter.

Also, their fleet consists of all EMDs, end cabs are still around and even being purchased from other sources, as well as GP38s and GP40s. L&C's fleet fits nicely with this theory, so I don't foresee any big changes at all. The future could hold some interesting locomotives for the L&C, as well. G&O's Knoxville Locomotive Works is turning out some interesting projects, including slugs and possibly even some extensive rebuilds in the not so distant future.

So, while we indeed are losing one of the classic shortlines of the south, I do hold out much more hope for it under G&O's stewardship than I would under a lot of other companies out there. If some others were grabbing the reins, I'd be right there with the masses lamenting that the L&C was "gone" but I think we're entering an interesting new chapter in the life of an old shortline with this development. Time will tell.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote