View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
Joe, I think a lot of us knew this was coming at some point.
That is certainly true. The Springs family has literally sold everythig they've owned from the textile mills (which moved out of country) to the insurance company they had. In some ways, I'm surprised they held on this long. I had been hearing rumors for 12 to 18 months. One of them had the NS looking into it, which I would have found surprising since 30 miles of the L&C is ex-NS sold to them within the last ten years. RailAmerica was said to be sniffing around the door too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
I see a lot of the discussion on Carolina Rails, and theories of things quickly being repainted.
Lots of worst case scenarios being presented on Carolina Rails, one being that they may cut back the line east of Circle S when (not if, according to this theory) ADM closes in Kershaw. I wasn't so worried about them repainting the current L&C fleet since the paint is less than two years old on all of them. I'm less worried now that John Jones e-mailed and apparently spoke with Clauseen. The G&O will apparently own the Springmaid logo and Jones says the fleet will stay blue. As I expected, the GMTX leasors will eventually be returned and replaced by GP38-3s. I saw your last post that there is an ex-Southern GP38 in Knoxville now being rebuilt that may be the first G&O power on the L&C.

Could be an interesting time, and I do see your point that this could be a best case scenario for the L&C. I wish it could have stayed local though.