Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
syltrain

Default What kind of camera for put rail pictures in your forum ?

Hello !

I'm looking for a digital camera to put my pictures on your website with all the criteria and regulations that you require ?

I wonder if the Canon Powershot SX40HS or the Nikon Coolpix L810 or Nikon Coolpix L120,Nikon D3100 is okay for put my train pictures in Railpictures.net ? These cameras models are landscape mode.

I'm looking for also cameras bridges, DSLR and hybrids in the brands like Olympus,Pentax and Sony.

What do you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Syltrain

Last edited by syltrain; 04-30-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: delete
syltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
JRMDC

Sorry to be rude, but I am wondering how much you know about photography. If, by "landscape mode", you mean the automatic-type setting on the camera, then my response is that people posting on RP generally have sufficient familiarity with photography that they are not using a fully-automatic mode on their cameras.

I don't know the particular models you list, but point/shoot cameras do generate shots that get accepted on RP. Most people do use a DSLR, however, as their higher level of interest in photography leads them to buy one, and they know what to do once they own it.

The key is that you know how to take a quality image and how to subsequently process the image in software to get the most out of it. If you don't know those things, then the specific camera does not matter. So tell us more about yourself, please!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I suggest you read up on the principles of proper exposure. Understand shutter speed, aperture, and film speed. You are going to want to get a camera in which you can control those factors manually if need be. Also you will need some sort of software in which to "process" your photos.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
syltrain

Default What kind of camera should I buy

I made rail photography and videography and my camera point and shoot has broken by accident. I used manual mode on this one. I'm a novice photographer and I looking for an hybrid or DSLR camera to making train pictures and train videos.

I've learning about the Nikon D5100 DSLR camera and that's a good choice and I'm interest about this model. But I know that DSLR cameras are more expensive then point and shoot and hybrid cameras.

So I'm looking for hybrid cameras such as Nikon J1, Olympus,Pentax and Sony but I don't know which models of these companies to choose to put my railpictures and railvideos on these Railpictures/Rail-Videos.net

I would like the equivalent of Nikon D5100 DSLR camera in Canon,Olympus,Pentax and Sony in the DSLR cameras a excellent to put pictures and videos on this websites.

So what do you recommend about both types of cameras that I want to compare and help me decide which one I should by.

What sort of software are you talking about ? Is that Photoshop that help me to process my pictures ?

Ok. Thanks in advance for my questions ?

Syltrain
syltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Honestly, this is not the best place to ask that question. Most of us have Canon or Nikon DSLRs due to all the great lens options. A lot of us don't care about video. Hybrids are new and most of us are not familiar with them.

Personally, I would look at something like a Canon Rebel T2 or T3. Maybe you can find a used one. Remember, lenses are a much more important investment than the body. I regularly use 40 year old lenses with great results.

Last edited by Hatchetman; 05-01-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #6
nikos1

A T2I will be a good choice, the video on the T1 is pretty good but I would buy a dedicated video camera so you don't have to pick between shooting videos and stills and can do both.
I would recommend buying the T2 with a 18-55 lens, and you should pick up a Canon 55-250 or something similar, that will get you through the basics, later on if you want a wide angle maybe something to consider, but the times I have had a want or need to go wider than 18mm have been few and far between.
If you don't want to spend that much on a SLR the Canon SX20 (or whatever the latest addition is) is a good railfanning camera, it can do alot for a point and shoot but having a SLR is nice if you can afford it (I couldn't till last year so I shot with a old Canon S5 till then)

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

If your trying to get a nicer camera at a good price, you may look at used ones through a reputable dealer.

I'm not familiar enough with the hybrids to say, but I can say an SLR is the way to go if you can afford it.

I don't really get into rail video so I can't comment. I have a Canon 7D but it's not very budget friendly but does great photos.

For editing, Photoshop elements will do wonders, and costs under 100 dollars.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cameras types, railpictures.net